Some days in life you just crave certain things. Tonight I was craving chicken parmesan. But let's be honest, this semester hasn't been good to my waist line - or maybe it's been TOO good. Either way, it's summer time which means it's time to slim down and shape up. So night I indulged my craving by making chicken parmesan as healthy as I will ever know how.
First - combine flour (use whole wheat if you have it), garlic powder and italian seasoning together for the breading. Pat dry your chicken breast and salt and pepper. After combining the flour mixture, add some grated parmesan to the breading. I did not use any kind of oil or egg, I just breaded the chicken as it was.
In a skillet on the stove, heat up some oil to prepare for the chicken. Lightly brown one side and then flip to brown the other side. Once both sides are semi-brown, place the skillet in the oven to continue baking. After 15 min, flip the chicken in the oven so both sides are cooked evenly.
Once the chicken is good throughly, add marinara sauce (I bought the kind I had a coupon for) and low-fat mozzarella cheese to the top of the chicken. Place the chicken back in the oven for the cheese to melt.
(Watch this part of the cooking process so you don't burn the cheese.)
After about 5 minutes or so, your chicken will be done! I like to place the chicken on some paper towels to remove the extra oil from the bottom of the chicken. After it sets for a moment, place it with sides of your choice.
- Two Chicken Breast
- 1 cup of flour (whole wheat if you're looking to be extra healthy)
- 1/2 tablespoon of garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon of italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon of shredded parmesan cheese
- 4 tablespoons of marinara sauce
- 2 tablespoons of grated mozzarella cheese
- Salt & Pepper
- 3 tablespoons of oil
- Add flour, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, and shredded parmesan cheese to a bowl and mix.
- Salt and pepper chicken breast
- Season chicken breast with breading mixture
- Heat oil in skillet on stove
- Once the oil is ready, brown chicken on both sides
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degree Fahrenheit
- Cook for 15 min on one side, flip and cooke for 10 min more on the other side.
- Remove skillet from oven and add marinara sauce to both chicken breast and top with mozzarella cheese.
- Place the skillet back in the oven for 5 minutes to heat marinara sauce and melt cheese
- Remove chicken from the oven and get ready to serve!